The meeting was called to order by President Tim Scheer at 6:39 PM.
OTHER BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Treasurer Randy Stannard, CFI Ryan Story, and Secretary Karo Stigler
MEMBERS PRESENT: Don Nelson, Chris Lenz, Brett Lenz, Mike Mango, Chief Flight Instructor Terry Koehn, Patrick, Susan, and Brendan McCormick, Jim Beeghly, Tomasz & Izabela Korwel, Scott Pearson, Dave White, Joe Demaria, James Jensen, Matt & June Prather, and Mark Eads
GUESTS: Jeff, Mindi, Olivia, & Isaac Jorgenson
The Minutes of the July 2, 2014 Board of Directors meeting were read by Karo. Randy moved with second by Ryan that the minutes be approved as read. Vote taken; Motion carried.
1. Treasurer’s Report: Randy reported that we have a balance in the bank right now that will just about pay all our bills; everybody (Duke, fuel, etc.) is (or will be) paid. Everything is current; we don’t have any extra cash, but we’re current. Terry said dues are starting to come in.
2. Airplanes: The general status of the planes was discussed. 478′s still at Duke’s.
3. Dates for Events: Fly-In/Drive-In Brunch: July 20 from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM; Gary and Sharon Lust’s Blue Grass Party: August 9 with music at 6:00 PM preceded by a meal (meat, beans and lemonade will be provided; bring a dish to share and BYOB); Family Fun Day Adventure: September 14 (rain date September 21).
4. Some of the equipment Terry and Ryan mentioned it would be nice to have on hand have been donated by Charles Wendt’s daughter, Natasha, who donated four headsets, a GPS, a portable radio, etc. These were items once used by Cello, and we sincerely appreciate them being donated to the club.
5. Mike Mango said the kitchen fund has $150 in it. Matt Prather will donate the use of a pizza oven. Thanks, Matt. Mike also said that we’ll need several volunteers (traffic, parking, set-up, clean-up, etc.) to help out at the July 20 fly-in/drive-in brunch on July 20. Rick Treiber was volunteered by everyone to run the 50/50 drawing. Mark will do his usual parking job. It was decided we’ll offer airplane rides as a fund-raising activity. Kathy Barry will provide her absolutely delicious homemade cinnamon rolls. Mike said the other items on the menu will be scrambled eggs, pancakes, sausage, juice, and fruit. Mike would like members to RSVP to him so he can get a general idea of the number who’ll be attending. Karo will send an email.
1. Chris Lenz got his tailwheel endorsement, and he’s good-to-go in the Chief. CONGRATS, CHRIS!
2. Don said that after flying the Chief, we should stuff the foam and rags back into the cowling as the birds keep building their nests in it. Chris said they cleaned the debris out in the back hangar, and by the time they got the plane pushed out to the front, the birds had already started building again. If you take the “stuffing” out before you fly . . . please put it back in post-flight. Thanks.
3. The Swisher Men’s Club is having their annual car show on September 13 (rain date: September 14), 2014. This is an awesome event that the whole town gets involved in. More than 200 cars are expected with trophies being awarded in several categories, a 50/50 drawing will take place, plenty of food and beverages will be on hand, and t-shirts will be for sale. There will be various activities throughout the day that will provide fun for all. We’ll coordinate a fly-over. By the way, the Swisher Men’s Club donated $500 to our scholarship program, so it would really be nice if Green Castle could have a nice showing of support for this fun event.
4. Tim’s been wanting a picture of all our taildraggers taken from the tower. We understand Izabela has taken on this task. Good luck on the climb, Izabela!
5. Our lawnmowers continue to die, and some have died many times. Discussion was held whether we should increase monthly dues by $5.00 per member for six months or ask for donations and see how much we can raise to purchase a new mower. Randy moved with second by Ryan that we send an email asking for donations that will go toward a new mower. Vote taken; Motion carried. Also, if anyone knows of a mower with a 6-foot or wider deck with zero-turn that we could have, let the office know.
6. Discussion was held re putting an ad in the “Gazette” re Green Castle teaching tailwheel, obtaining a sport pilot rating, and our Aeronca Chief.
Randy moved with second by Ryan to adjourn the meeting. Vote taken; Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 7:11 PM.